FreeSoft successfully completes a tool based data and application migration from ISAM/COBOL to Oracle/COBOL
The client is one of the largest car rental groups in the world with presence in more than 70 countries around the world. In the US, the client has more than 800 company-owned or franchised stores. With more than 1500 International locations, they are present at almost every major airport in the world.
print this page
Primary objective of the project was to migrate the business critical car reservation system's flat file structures and data into Oracle RDBMS. The conversion was accomplished in three phases:
- Generating database objects and automated tool-based conversion of application
- Generating additional software components for the modified conceptual architecture
- Testing, re-generating by iteration, manual bug fixing, final tuning
The size of the original COBOL application was in the magnitude of approximately 124 ISAM data files (additional 124 data files for internal training) and some 681.000 lines of code.
The project was a complex migration process. The project integrated the following functions:
- Strategic Consulting to develop the concept and collect all details and sources of the application
- Creation and delivery of prototype to be evaluated by the customer, involving the migration of 2 of the most complex ISAM file structure and data, and core COBOL programs of the application
- Delivery of migrated application and other sources
- Unit test and integration test of migrated application in the user's development environment (code and data)
- Bug tracking and bug fixing
- Customer's Application Development Department training
Advantages for the customer
- Get rid of the ISAM file structures, use only the Oracle database in the UNIX environment
- Store data in a common, enterprise level data center
- Enabling strategic redesign activities in the new environment
print this page
Copyright 2012, FreeSoft Inc. All rights reserved. All trademarks are properties of their respective companies.