FreeSoft successfully completes a tool based data and application migration from DB2/COBOL to Oracle/COBOL
The client is a supermarket chain having stores in Northern California, Nevada, and New Mexico. FreeSoft as a technology provider and migration partner was involved as a subcontractor of leading RDBMS vendor of the world in Client's Data Warehouse migration project.
print this page
Migration was necessary because of high maintenance cost and the obsolete technology and environment.
The original system was operating on an OS/390 machine based on IBM DB2. The database contained 1 TB data that was stored 300 tables (most of them were partitioned). The ETL processes were mapped in Cobol programs and SQL procedures called from JCL.
The task was to migrate the DB2 database to Oracle, load the data and convert the SQLs needed for the ETL processes.
FreeSoft used its X20 tool to deliver the project on time & budget. The following features of the tool were used:
- Parser for analyzing the DB2 schema
- Parser for analyzing the DB2 control files
- Parser for analyzing the SQL procedures
- Generator to create the Oracle schema (Tables, Indexes)
- Generator to create the Oracle SQL*Loader Control Files
- Generator to create the SQL procedures
Advantages for the customer
- Get rid of the DB2 and the mainframe, use only the Oracle database in the UNIX environment
- Store data in a cost effective RDBMScommon, enterprise level data center
- Enabling strategic redesign activities in the new environment
- Major step towards a modern, flexible service-oriented architecture.
print this page
Copyright 2012, FreeSoft Inc. All rights reserved. All trademarks are properties of their respective companies.