FreeSoft successfully completes a tool based application migration from Informix 4GL to Java / Oracle
LGN - Lower-Saxonian Cadastral Administration Agency, Germany decided to migrate its administration system (AGN) from a 4GL Informix application to Java using FreeSoft's Informix migration technology with Siemens Business Services being the prime contractor and a strategic partner in migration services.
print this page
The Application serves 14 Authorities for Geoinformation, Land and Real Estate Management with 53 local cadastral offices. The size of the original 4GL application was in the magnitude of approximately100 tables, 400 forms and some 350.000 lines of code.
Primary objective of the project was to migrate the AGN application with all functionality from Informix 4GL to Java. The conversion was accomplished in three phases:
- Automated tool-based conversion (for as much of the application as possible)
- Manual re-works (of code that could not be converted with automation)
- Testing, and finally tuning
The project was a classic complex migration. In detail the project integrated the following functions:
- Strategic Consulting to develop the concept and collect details of the application
- Creation and delivery of prototype to be evaluated by the customer
- Delivery and test of migrated application (code and data)
- Quality assurance of the migrated application in the customer environment
- Implementation and customer training to transfer knowledge of the new JAVA/Oracle application to the customer .
Advantages for the customer
- Continued assurance of the investment in the application after the strategic change to 3-tier architecture with bundled web-based services
- Client-layer consisting of a Java-Spring client
- The server-layer contains the most of the business logic, isolating it from external interfaces such as reporting and XML-processing which remained unchanged
- Automated - hence economic, accurate, and repeatable - conversion of source code through the usage of the FreeSoft X2O-converter.
- Major step towards a modern, flexible service-oriented architecture.
print this page
Copyright 2012, FreeSoft Inc. All rights reserved. All trademarks are properties of their respective companies.